12/08/2010

Real Walls

Years ago, my poor bedroom was the victim of violent creativity attack. Hastily-torn magazine pages and well-intentioned birthday cards suffocated its walls. Knick-knacks, trophies, and glittery picture frames soldiered its bookcase. Ranks of clothing and brightly patterned carpet buried its floor. A few truly unfortunate spaces had a sharpie pointed at them, and were made to sing Switchfoot songs. Even the ceiling didn’t escape the massacre, pierced with the deadly glare of glow-in-the-dark stars.

The devastation of this tragic war, wrought by my teenagerism, was documented by a single photograph:

Veggie Tales, the lyrics to "Let That Be Enough," and general slobbishness.

 Ah, my poor, poor bedroom. And I am to blame.

When I didn’t get the South Africa job, I knew it was time to initiate a full recovery. Because of the sharpie and the spray paint (that’s right: spray paint.), part 1 of operation:restoration for my room needed to be a fresh coat of “Mossy Log” and “Swiss Coffee.” So, with my mother as a trusted consult, I have redeemed my bedroom. Its walls are no longer calling out in distress and its wood floor is free to breathe:


Clockwise around the room...

These closet doors are now the bane of my existence.

Floor! Baseboards!


The war is over, Real Walls officially occupy my bedroom, and I must say - sometimes this adulthood thing ain't so bad!

(Watch out, closets!!! You’re next.)

No comments:

Post a Comment